1 hr 10 mins
I have not yet tried this, but it is from an overdue library book (From Our Mothers' Kitchens) and I want to return the book tomorrow, so need to get the recipes I want to try copied down, pronto. Beer breads are always great to serve with chili, soup or stews, and this one, with the addition of the cheddar and the onion rings on top, sounds terrific.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 green onions, minced (white and green parts)
- 1 cup shredded old sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (341 ml) bottle beer, any type (at room temperature)
- 1Preheat oven to 350F; grease a 9x5 loaf pan well and set aside.
- 2Into a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and mustard powder; it's easiest to do this by shaking mixture into bowl through a sieve.
- 3If you don't want to sift (it's best to do so), combine those ingredients well using a fork.
- 4Add basil, minced green onions and cheese.
- 5Pour in beer, stirring only to combine; don't over-stir.
- 6Spread batter evenly in prepared loaf pan.
- 7Arrange the onion rings over entire top, then sprinkle cheese over, then sesame seeds if using.
- 8Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a tester inserted into centre of loaf comes out clean.
- 9Remove loaf from pan immediately and let cool on a wire rack for a few minutes; loaf is best if served warm so should be served right away, but it can be make ahead of time and then rewarmed to serve, if desired.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Onion Beer Bread with Cheddar
Serving Size: 1 (968 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2081.0
- Calories from Fat 461
- Total Fat 51.3 g
- Saturated Fat 30.4 g
- Cholesterol 148.3 mg
- Sodium 3157.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 303.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 74.4 g