Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the Australian Women's Weekly.
- 8 anchovies packed in oil, drained
- 60 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 slice white bread, chopped coarsely
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh marjoram, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra
- Combine anchovies and milk in small bowl, stand 10 minutes, drain well.
- Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan, cook bread, stirring, until browned lightly, remove from pan.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan, cook onion, garlic and herbs, stirring until onion is soft.
- Blend or process anchovies, bread, onion mixture, olives, capers, vinegar and juice until combined. With motor operating, add extra oil in thin stream, process until almost smooth.
- Serve with crusty bread.
This is very different from anything I've made before. It was fun to make and good to eat. I added 2 slices of white bread as mine were small. I'm wondering if croutons would work for this? It kinda looks like anchovy mush but the red onion and herbs save it. I didn't have fresh marjoram so I put 1 tsp dried. I did everything else according to the recipe. I served it with french bread. Made for Holiday Tag.