Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I have been making this easy, yummy pan bread for quite some time. Everyone loves it. Great with soups in the winter. It doesn't take too long to make as the total preparation time is about 1 hour and 45-50 minutes.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 3⁄4-4 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 teaspoons regular dry yeast
- 1 egg (beaten)
HERB TOPPING optional
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Grease 9x13 baking pan.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan and stir in the rolled oats.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons butter; cool to lukewarm (about 110-120 degrees).
- In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
- Add the rolled oat mixture and beat well till moistened--continue blending for about 3 minutes.
- Add the beaten egg and mix well.
- Then add 1 3/4-2 1/2 cups of flour for form stiff dough.
- On floured surface, knead in 1/2-3/4 cups more flour till dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Shape into a ball, cover with a large bowl leaving it on the counter and rest about 15 minutes.
- Punch down dough several times to remove any air bubbles.
- Press into the greased pan.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut diagonal lines 1 1/2" apart, cutting completely through the dough; repeat in opposite direction creating a diamond effect.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes till double.
- Herb Topping: (optional) Mix the basil, cheese, and garlic powder together and set aside; melt the butter and keep separate.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Brush top with butter and then the Herb Topping and return to oven for an additional 5-10 minutes or till done.