Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Let the crock pot do the work for a wonderful entree.The long cooking time tenderizes this cut of beef. From BHG, Crockery CookBook, with my changes. Note: If your crock pot cooks hot, please add 1/2 soup can of water into the soup mixture.
- 907.18 g beef steaks, round (3/4 inch thick) or 907.18 g top sirloin steaks (3/4 inch thick)
- 14.79 ml cooking oil
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, in 1/2 inch slices
- 473.18 ml sliced fresh mushrooms or 2 (226.79 g) jar mushrooms
- 304.75 g can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 2.46 ml dried oregano, crushed
- 1.23 ml dried thyme, crushed
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 709.77 ml hot cooked egg noodles
- 44.37 ml parsley, chopped
- 118.29 ml frozen green pea (optional)
- Trim fat from meat.
- Cut into serving sizes, if needed.
- In a large heavy skillet, brown beef on both sides in hot oil.
- Lightly spray the liner of a 4-quart crocker pot with cooking spray. ,.
- Spear one bay leaf with a toothpick (to be able to find and remove after cooking.
- Mix soup with spices and pepper.
- Meanwhile, place onion slices, green peas and mushrooms.in bottom of crock pot.
- Remove beef from skillet and place in crock pot on top of veggies.
- De-glaze pan with white wine,scrapping up meat bits.
- Add soup mixture to skillet and whisk to blend well; pour over meat in crock pot.
- Place speared bay leaf into mixture.
- Cover; cook on LOW setting for 8 hours.
- REMOVE bay leaf and toothpick.
- Serve over cooked noodles and sprinkle with parsley.
This was great. I added a deep red wine for a different flavor and it was outstanding. I also added some instant mashed potatoes to thicken the gravy. It's an old trick I learned somewhere. Crockpot on high made it wonderfully tender. I used 3lbs of round steak because that's what I had so I added two cans of soup so we had plenty of gravy. It makes a lot. Served over rice for just a nice change. I think you could add a container of sour cream and get a great stroganoff flavor from this too.
What a winner, Caroline! We devoured this tonight and I was hoping for some lunch leftovers for tomorrow. :( I skipped a few steps, but still had incredible results. First, I broiled the steaks to brown them (no oil), and added the white wine directly to the Healthy Request soup. Cooked on high for 4 hours for perfect fork-tender meat. I also skipped the peas and parsley. One step I shouldn't have skipped is #13. My son said, "What's this leaf doing in my meat?" We'll be enjoying this again and again. Thanks Caroline!