Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I like the cheese, herbs and garlic in this potato dish. You can use other herbs if you prefer, parsley and chives is also a nice combination. It will depend on the type of potatoes you use how much milk and sour cream you need.
- 5 -6 medium potatoes, cleaned,cubed,unpeeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 4 ounces mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup milk (or more)
- 4 -5 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 dash fresh nutmeg, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil potatoes with the garlic cloves until soft, mash the potatoes.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add milk until texure is smooth.
- Add sour cream and stir until blended.
- Add basil, chives and nutmeg.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Totally packed full of flavour with nothing being predominant, I used fresh basil and garlic chives from the garden and a sharp extra tasty vintage cheddar (though only about 3 ouces instead of 4 and garnished the left overs on the mash) I was only serving 3 but had enough for 4 or 5 so it looks like potato cakes in the morning for breakfast. Made for Pets' Cook-A-Thon in her memory.
Totally awesome, Pets!!! The additions of the herbs and especially the sour cream and cheese are worth the effort (and extra calories). The cheese adds a nice golden hue to the taters and the sour cream adds an extra creaminess. WONDERFUL recipe! Made for Pets' Cook-a-Thon in Cooking Photos.
yummy! I only had fresh chives so I used more. I used 1/4 cup 2% fat milk, only 1 garlic clove, 4 tbs of fat-free sour cream, and omitted nutmeg. Thanks Pets :) Made for your cookathon