Recipe by That is Dr House to you
From the TVP cookbook. You can slice for sandwiches or use in cold platter
- 3 cups textured vegetable protein
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup instant gluten flour or 3⁄4 cup unbleached flour or 3⁄4 cup wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, finely minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the first 4 ingredients and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Microwave on high the onions in the olive oil until soft. [or saute] Add to the TVP mix.
- Then stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Lightly oil a loaf pan. Pack Mixture tightly, smooth the top. BAke at 350F for 45 minutes.
- If it gets too brown on top cover with foil. Let sit in pan 10 minutes on removing. Run knife around the edges then turn on to platter. Garlish with lemon slices and parsley sprigs. Serve with a tomato sauce or Mushroom gravy if desired.
- NOTE Instant Gluten Flour is best.