Recipe by Engrossed
From: "The Bean Cookbook" by Norma S. Upson. When I try it I will probably double the herbs. *Use vegetable broth to make this Vegetarian. You may try this with any kind of cheese you like.
Top Review by bmcnichol
This was wonderful and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written other then I used minced onions instead of a regular onion. I also used chicken broth. It was a great, different side dish for us. Everyone enjoyed it.
- 2 2⁄3 cups vegetable broth or 2 2⁄3 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup lentils
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (I would use 1-2 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces swiss cheese, strips to top
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except the cheese strips and turn into an ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 350F for about 1 1/2 hours until lentils and rice are cooked, stirring twice.
- Place cheese strips on top of the lentil-rice mixture.
- Bake uncovered 2-3 minutes until cheese melts.