Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From: "The Bean Cookbook" by Norma S. Upson. When I try it I will probably double the herbs. *Use vegetable broth to make this Vegetarian. You may try this with any kind of cheese you like.
- 2 2⁄3 cups vegetable broth or 2 2⁄3 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup lentils
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (I would use 1-2 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces swiss cheese, strips to top
- Combine all ingredients except the cheese strips and turn into an ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 350F for about 1 1/2 hours until lentils and rice are cooked, stirring twice.
- Place cheese strips on top of the lentil-rice mixture.
- Bake uncovered 2-3 minutes until cheese melts.
This was wonderful and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written other then I used minced onions instead of a regular onion. I also used chicken broth. It was a great, different side dish for us. Everyone enjoyed it.
My family was skeptical at first, but they absolutely devoured this. We topped it off with some vegetarian "meat"balls. I'm really looking forward to having the leftovers for lunch. It turned out great. Bonus: It made the house smell amazing.
We loved this!! I used shredded mozzarella in the mix and topped with swiss cheese slices. Toddler, Hubby, and I all thought it is one of the best lentil dishes we have had. We get 500 calories for dinner so I paired it with Broccoli Slaw recipe #285741 for a fresh veggie on the side. AWESOME!