Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A light casserole that is very easy to prepare. From The New American Diet.
- 3⁄4 cup lentils, uncooked
- 2 2⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine all ingredients except cheese in an ungrease 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Spread cheese on top and bake for additional 5 minutes.
This comes from one of my favorite cookbooks and I had never made it. This is a nice healthy dish and the aroma when cooking is wonderful. I used homemade chicken stock in place of the wine and Swiss cheese for the mozzarella. The dish was topped off with a touch of Balsamic vinegar when serving.
I agree with ladypit, this is a good version of lentil casserole but I don't think it beats the traditional one I use. The tangy flavor is a nice change and the onions cook themselves nicely in the liquid. Mine needed a bit of extra garlic powder on top. It was super easy to cook, and I subbed some chicken broth for most of the water.
I just ran across this recipe, I made it years ago and lost the recipe. I'm so happy to find it.