Recipe by Derf
Best ever BBQ ribs, heavenly!! Marinating time included in cook time. from Canadian Living Mag.
Top Review by yooper
Simply magnificent, and a welcome departure from the tomato-based sauces! I decided to cook the entire ten pounds of ribs the recipe called for, and I'm glad I did! There were five of us, and after the initial first taste the heaping platter of ribs dissapeared! The lemon and the spices blended perfectly, and didn't mask the delicate flavor of the pork. This is perhaps my last time at the outdoor grill until next Spring! Thanks to you Dorothy, it was lip-smacking good!
- 10 lbs pork spareribs
- 2 cups vegetable oil or 2 cups olive oil
- 18 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons crumbled dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons dried sage
- 2 tablespoons savory
- 2 tablespoons marjoram
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried mint
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 lemons
- 1 strip fresh lemon rind
- thyme, sprigs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot, cover ribs with boiling water, cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until ribs are tender.
- Drain and let cool, pack into large heavy plastic bag.
- Combine oil, garlic, parsley, lemon rind, lemon juice, thyme, rosemary, sage, savory, marjoram, pepper, mint, allspice, cumin and cayenne, pour over ribs, coating meat evenly.
- Tie bag closed, place in large bowl and marinate in refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours, turning bag over periodically (Note: there is just enough marinade to cover ribs, not to swish around).
- Remove ribs, reserving any marinade, bring ribs to room temperature.
- Cook on greased grill over hot coals or on high setting for about 10 minutes per side or until meat comes away from bone, brushing occasionally with any marinade.
- Season with salt to taste after cooking.
- Cut into serving sized portions of 3 to 4 ribs.
- Garnish: Cut lemons into wedges.
- Garnish ribs with lemon wedges, and lemon rind and thyme, if using.