Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My family loves lamb. I have an abundance of fresh herbs growing in my garden, and this is one of my favorite recipes for leg of lamb. Every fall I can some pear and apple chutney, and I usually serve it with lamb, instead of mint jelly.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper.
- Sliver two cloves of the garlic.
- With a sharp knife, cut slits into the lamb and insert the slivers of garlic.
- Rub meat generously all over with the dijon mustard.
- Mix the herbs and pat evenly all over meat.
- Heat oven to 375.
- In roaster with a cover, place the lamb and the remaining peeled cloves of garlic.
- Roast uncovered for 1 hour.
- Reduce the broth and wine to make 2 cups.
- At the end of the hour, reduce the oven temperature to 300.
- Pour the 2 cups liquid over the lamb, cover and roast for one hour.
- At the end of this hour, baste and roast for 45 minutes longer.
- Turn off the oven and let sit, covered.
- Serve with au jus and chutney or mint sauce, if desired.