Recipe by JeriBinNC
You can use frozen green beans instead of fresh in this recipe, but the basil really does need to be fresh. Try substituting other veggies (carrots, broccoli or zucchini, for example) for the green beans!
- 1 lb green beans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- lemon wedge, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 1/2" of water to boil in a 10-inch skillet with lid.
- Add green beans; cover and simmer over medium-low heat until tender-crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Drain in colander.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots and sugar.
- Cook until softened and golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and green beans.
- Cook and stir until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in lemon zest and basil.
- Spoon onto serving plate.
- Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired, and serve immediately.