Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Not everyone in my family liked cranberry sauce with their turkey at thanksgiving, so I set about to find a substitute that the whole family would enjoy. This herbed fruit compote was just the ticket! I now use it year around on turkey, and chicken but it's especially good on pork. Even if you like cranberry sauce I think you'll find this compote a yummy change of pace.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup dark raisin
- 1 cup orange juice, including pulp (but certainly NOT the seeds)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (More or less to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage leaf
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Over medium heat, in a medium-size, heavy-bottomed saucepan- bring first six ingredients to simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer.
- Stir frequently, until raisins plump, about 15 minutes.
- Add next four ingredients; simmer to blend flavors, about five minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, season to taste with salt and pepper, refrigerate.
- Serve chilled.