Prep 5 hrs
Cook 40 mins
This is a rich, flat bread that you break apart with your hands when the dish is passed to you, buttery with garlic and herbs and kinda sweet. IT GOES FAST!
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled to room temperature
- 2 1⁄4 ounces dry yeast
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small chunks
- 3 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs, rosemary, basil, savory and parsley or 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons dried herbs, basil, thyme and oregano
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and put through a garlic press or finely chopped
- Pam cooking spray or additional oil
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir 2 teaspoons sugar into the warm milk and sprinkle yeast over the top; let stand until foamy (5 to 10 minutes).
- In a food processor, put remaining 1/4 cup sugar, flour, salt and butter and pulse until combined. Add the yeast mixture and egg yolks; process until mixed well, 20 to 30 seconds. Put dough into a large bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap; put in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Roll the dough into a this, large irregular circle (or 3 to 3 smaller circles). Spread the soft butter over the dough and sprinkle with herbs and garlic. Fold the dough in half and roll up the edges to seal. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray (of lightly with oil) and place dough on it. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise until not quite doubled (about 45 to 55 minutes - preheating oven to 350 degrees F after 30 minutes).
- Brush bread with beaten egg white for a shiny top and bake until golden (40 minutes for large, 25 to 30 for smaller) and serve warm.
- A rich, lightly sweetened egg and milk yeast dough, rolled out and covered with herbs and garlic, and folded over into and irregular half-moon shape, this primitive bread is PURE HEAVEN!