Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A piquant dip and spicy wedges make this fish supper a special treat any day of the week.
Make and share this Herbed Fish Fingers With Lemon and Caper Dip recipe from Food.com.
- 2 ounces white bread, 2 days old, crusts removed
- 1 lemon, zest of, only
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 lb flounder or 1 lb lemon sole fillet, skinned
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the dip
- 4 ounces creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 teaspoon shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
For the potato wedges
- 8 -12 potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a food processor, blitz the bread to coarse crumbs. Add the lemon zest, herbs and a pinch of salt, and pulse to bright green, fine breadcrumbs.
- Cut the fish into 1 1/2in x 4in strips (any trimmings can be kept for a fish pie).
- Dust each strip with flour, shaking off any excess, then dip into the beaten egg and coat in the breadcrumbs.
- The strips can now be kept in the fridge for up to 4 hours to firm up, but this is not essential.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan until hot and fry the fish fingers a few at a time for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Keep each batch warm on absorbent paper until all of the fish fingers are cooked.
- For the dip, mix all the ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
- For the wedges, cut the potatoes into wedges, about 6-8 per potato, then toss in a bowl with the oil and paprika.
- Spread the wedges out in a single layer on a large non-stick baking tray. Roast in the oven for about 40-50 minutes, depending on their size, turning occasionally until golden brown and crisp. When cooked, season with flakes of sea salt.
- Serve the fish fingers with the lemon and caper dip and the crisp potato wedges on the side.