1/3 Photos of Herbed Eggplant (Aubergine) Souffle
1 hr 10 mins
This was the first "soufflé" I’d made, and it came out quite well! (And was actually a LOT easier to make than I'd anticipated.) Steingrim, who dislikes eggplant, loved it. Finally, an eggplant he’ll eat! :) The recipe is adapted from Kim D’s adopted recipe for "Creole Eggplant Souffle."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup water or 1/4 cup chicken broth or 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; butter or oil a 1-1/2 quart baking casserole or souffle pan.
- 2Over medium heat in a large skillet (with a cover) or round French oven (my Le Creuset works wonderfully well), melt butter and oil together, then add the onion, celery, and garlic and saute over low heat until the onion is translucent.
- 3Sprinkle in the flour and stir well until incorporated.
- 4Add the basil, oregano, and thyme and saute, stirring, until flour begins to brown.
- 5Add the milk and the diced eggplant.
- 6Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook, until the eggplant is very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes; check the mixture every 5 minutes or so and stir, adding water or broth to keep the bottom of the skillet moist.
- 7Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl; allow to cool for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, mozzarella, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and 4 egg yolks and stir well to coat.
- 9Add yolk mixture to the eggplant mixture and stir well; set aside.
- 10In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 11Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the eggplant mixture.
- 12Pour soufflé mixture into the buttered casserole or soufflé pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until it is a nice golden brown and is puffy.
- 13Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes, then serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Eggplant (Aubergine) Souffle
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.1
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 171.6 mg
- Sodium 565.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 14.0 g