Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the 'Celebrate San Antonio' cookbook.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk or 1 (12 ounce) can half-and-half or 1 (12 ounce) can light cream
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz.)
- 18 eggs, hard cooked and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup finely snipped fresh parsley
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- In a medium saucapan, melt 1/4 cup butter.
- Stir in flour, thyme, basil and marjoram. Stir in the evaporated milk and regular milk all at once.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat. Gradually add cheddar cheese to sauce.
- Stir after each addition until the cheese is melted.
- Set aside.
- Lightly grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Layer half of the sliced eggs, bacon, and parsley in dish.
- Pour half of the sauce over all. Repeat layers, ending with sauce.
- In a small bowl, stir together bread crumbs and the 1/4 cup melted butter; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.