Recipe by HopeJohnJP
This recipe has it all: vivid colors, contrasting textures, pleasing aromas, and complex flavors. Ideal to start a summer dinner party on the screened porch.
Top Review by Sharon123
This was yummy on whole grain French bread. I think I misread the instructions and blended the whole thing together, but that didn't change the goodness. Thanks! Made for PAC(Pick a Chef) in the contests/events forum.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 10 dashes coarse black pepper (10 grinds)
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 red ripe tomato, seeded and diced small
- 1 small white onion, diced small
- 1⁄4 cup pitted black olives, chopped
- 2 marinated artichoke hearts, and stems chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbles
- 1⁄4 cup basil olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 large baguette, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup best olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cream cheese, garlic powder, marjoram, thyme, and pepper in a food processor until smooth. May be made up to one week in advance. (Bring to room temperature before serving.).
- Preheat broiler or toaster oven broiler. Cover broiler pan or cookie sheet with aluminum foil, folded up at the sides. Broil pepper quarters, peel side up, close to the heat source, until the skin begins to bubble and char. Remove pepper to a closed container until cool enough to handle. The blackened skin will slough off easily; discard it. Pour any juices from the foil and container into a large bowl.
- Into the same bowl, chop or small dice vegetables in proportions that please your eye and palate. Mix well before adding cheese. Swirl in olive oil and vinegar and stir gently so the feta keeps its shape. Season to taste. Allow to rest at room temperature.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil. Broil briefly, just until golden. Spread each with herbed cream cheese and a heaping spoonful of relish. Serve immediately.