Yes you can really bake your own crackers instead of getting them out of a package. These are so flavorful that they need no topping; however, if you like you can serve them with some cheese or a spread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Spray large rimless baking sheet on at least two sides with non-stick coating.
- 3In medium bowl, combine flour, oat bran, onions, garlic, baking soda, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper.
- 4Stir to mix well.
- 5Add oil and buttermilk.
- 6Stir until thoroughly combined.
- 7Gather dough into a ball.
- 8Place dough ball on prepared baking sheet.
- 9Cover with wax paper and roll dough into 10 x 14 inch rectangle.
- 10Try to keep thickness of dough as even as possible as thick crackers will not crisp.
- 11Cut and patch dough if necessary to make the size of the rectangle.
- 12Gently peel off and discard wax paper after rolling out the dough.
- 13Prick dough all over with the tines of a fork.
- 14Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter or pastry wheel to cut the rolled out dough into squares of 1 1/2" x 2" on a side, leaving the dough in place on the baking sheet.
- 15Bake in centre of oven 12-15 mins or until crackers on the edges are lightly browned and crisped.
- 16Remove from oven and separate the brown crackers from the rest of the sheet with a metal spatula.
- 17Transfer the brown crackers to a wire rack to cool.
- 18Return baking sheet to the oven.
- 19Continue baking checking every one and a half to 2 minutes, and removing them from the sheet when they are done.
- 20Continue until all the crackers are lightly browned.
- 21When the crackers are slightly cooled, separate any which are slightly stuck together.
- 22Cool on a metal rack.
- 23Crackers should keep up to a week in an air-tight container.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Crackers
Serving Size: 1 (10 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 17
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 24.8
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 56.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 0.8 g