Recipe by CHRISSYG
The original recipe idea came from a Gourmet Magazine for "Broiled Crab Cakes" but they were a bit dry and had a 'burnt toast' aftertaste to them. I re-tooled it a bit and made it easier to prepare (to make up for the additional complication of pan frying them)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion (scallions)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs (dont cheat)
- 3 tablespoons butter (for frying)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons drained capers
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, take day old bread and pulverize to make fresh breadcrumbs, this is very important, store bought breadcrumbs will not suffice here. Place aside in a bowl.
- Using on/off pulses with the same foodprocessor, finely chop the first 3 ingredients.
- Dump into a medium bowl and add the next 5 ingredients and stir to combine.
- Then add the crabmeat; toss.
- GENTLY fold in 1 cup breadcrumbs.
- Place 2 cups breadcrumbs on plate.
- Using 1 tablespoon crab mixture for each, form 1-inch-diameter patties.
- Coat each crab cake with breadcrumbs.
- Cover; chill at least 1 hour.
- Working in batches, lighlty sautee the crabcakes in butter, until golden brown on each side.
- Transfer onto paper towel, keep warm till serving.
- Serve with Herb Sauce on side.
- Garnish with Basil or Chive Sprigs.
- Herb Sauce Preparation:.
- place all ingredients except 2 tablespoons of the capers into a blender or a food processor.
- Blend until smooth and pleasingly green.
- Pour into a bowl and stir in additional 2 tablespoons of capers.