Recipe by Sage
The herbs give an interesting variation in this old-fashioned English favourite.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Perfect recipe for a wintry Australian dinner. I threw in some frozen peas and added an extra teaspoon of worcestershire sauce (just because I love it) but followed the rest of the recipe. It was so quick and easy to make. The cheese and herbs add a lovely dimension to the topping, which I made using Recipe #106693.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 18 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract
- 1 cup beef stock
- 6 tablespoons red wine
- 3 cups potatoes, mashed
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F
- Heat the oil and fry the onion until brown.
- Lower the heat and add the beef and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, tomato purée, yeast extract and stock, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer.
- Mix in the cheese and herbs to the mashed potato.
- Spoon the meat into a deep ovenproof dish. Top with the herby potato.
- Bake for 30 minutes.