Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The herbs give an interesting variation in this old-fashioned English favourite.
Make and share this Herbed Cottage Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 18 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract
- 1 cup beef stock
- 6 tablespoons red wine
- 3 cups potatoes, mashed
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F
- Heat the oil and fry the onion until brown.
- Lower the heat and add the beef and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, tomato purée, yeast extract and stock, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer.
- Mix in the cheese and herbs to the mashed potato.
- Spoon the meat into a deep ovenproof dish. Top with the herby potato.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Perfect recipe for a wintry Australian dinner. I threw in some frozen peas and added an extra teaspoon of worcestershire sauce (just because I love it) but followed the rest of the recipe. It was so quick and easy to make. The cheese and herbs add a lovely dimension to the topping, which I made using Mom's Mashed Potatoes.
Nice cottage pie! I really enjoyed the herbs in this. I chopped the mushrooms, and replaced the tinned tomatoes with a little extra stock and wine, as I'm not quite convinced of the place of tomatoes in a cottage pie. I used marmite and a splash of worcester sauce.
This recipe really hit the spot last night. I used Promite for the yeast extract (I find that Vegemite can be a bit harsh in this sort of meal)and used a can of chopped tomatoes. I let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes. Loved the cheese and herb mash...yum!!