That is Dr House to you's Note:
Sage Rosemary Sauteed Veggies and a corn bread base. Stuff eggplant with it or any of the squashes such as sweet dumpling for a lovely holiday treat. Make the base ahead up to a month and freeze airtight. Use the Cayenne only if you chili powder is mild. From Vegetarian Times in 1999
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 12 ounces seitan
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 10 ounces button mushrooms or 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups crumbled cornbread stuffing mix
- 2 teaspoons Braggs liquid aminos (to taste) or 2 teaspoons soy sauce (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons plum wine vinegar (umeboshi vinegar, to taste)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, as needed
Corn Bread Stuffing Base
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups soymilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts chopped
- 1Heat oil over med and add onions cook stirring often, until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add seitan and cook 2 minutes.
- 3Stir in garlic, celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in parsley and remove pan from heat.
- 5In bowl, combine cooked vegetables, cornbread, tamari and vinegar and mix well.
- 6Stir in enough broth so that stuffing is moist enough to hold together when pressed but not soggy.
- 7Adjust seasoning to taste with tamari, vinegar, salt and pepper. Stuff vegetable of choice and bake or serve as a side dish.
- 8Cornbread Stuffing Base:.
- 9Makes 8 1/2 cups.
- 10Preheat oven to 375 [degrees] F. Lightly oil a 8 1/2-inch square baking pan.
- 11In large bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, chili powder, salt, thyme, oregano, sage and cayenne if using.
- 12Add soy milk, oil and scallions and mix well with a wooden spoon. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 13Bake until cornbread is light golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely in pan before crumbling to use in stuffing.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Cornbread Stuffing With Seitan
Serving Size: 1 (1672 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.5
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 912.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cornbread stuffing mix
Braggs liquid aminos
plum wine vinegar