Recipe by That is Dr House to you
Sage Rosemary Sauteed Veggies and a corn bread base. Stuff eggplant with it or any of the squashes such as sweet dumpling for a lovely holiday treat. Make the base ahead up to a month and freeze airtight. Use the Cayenne only if you chili powder is mild. From Vegetarian Times in 1999
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 12 ounces seitan
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 10 ounces button mushrooms or 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups crumbled cornbread stuffing mix
- 2 teaspoons Braggs liquid aminos (to taste) or 2 teaspoons soy sauce (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons plum wine vinegar (umeboshi vinegar, to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth, as needed
Corn Bread Stuffing Base
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups soymilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over med and add onions cook stirring often, until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add seitan and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and remove pan from heat.
- In bowl, combine cooked vegetables, cornbread, tamari and vinegar and mix well.
- Stir in enough broth so that stuffing is moist enough to hold together when pressed but not soggy.
- Adjust seasoning to taste with tamari, vinegar, salt and pepper. Stuff vegetable of choice and bake or serve as a side dish.
- Cornbread Stuffing Base:.
- Makes 8 1/2 cups.
- Preheat oven to 375 [degrees] F. Lightly oil a 8 1/2-inch square baking pan.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, chili powder, salt, thyme, oregano, sage and cayenne if using.
- Add soy milk, oil and scallions and mix well with a wooden spoon. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until cornbread is light golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely in pan before crumbling to use in stuffing.