1/2 Photos of Herbed Chicken Schnitzel
Pan-fried breaded veal (or pork or chicken or turkey) is one of the most universal dishes, with a skrillion variations - baked with bechamel in England, served cordon bleu-style in Hungary, accompanied by ketchup in Israel and gravy in Sweden. But the best schnitzel is the original schnitzel, credit for which is contested between Milan ('cotoletta alla milanese') and Vienna ('wiener schnitzel'), which relies on the clean simplicity of fresh lemon juice. My own variation, while keeping the lemon, jazzes things up a bit with the addition of herbs and grated parmesan to the breading.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 boneless skinless chicken cutlets (6-8 ounces each)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, unflavored
- 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- ground black pepper
- 1Place chicken filets between two sheets of wax paper and pound with meat mallet to a thickness of about 1/4 inch (or until it becomes too wide for the skillet you'll be using) - the thinner the better.
- 2Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, herbs and salt and spread evenly on a large platter.
- 3Dredge filets first in the flour, then through the egg, which has been beaten with the milk.
- 4Coat filets with breadcrumb mixture, pressing down to really embed it into the meat.
- 5In a large skillet, heat the olive oil to frying temperature (medium-high flame).
- 6Cook 1 filet at a time, about a minute each side or until golden and crispy.
- 7Season with ground black pepper and sprinkle generously with fresh lemon juice.
- 8Note: turkey, pork tenderloin, veal, even beef can be substituted; the key is that the meat be pounded very thin, otherwise it spends too much time in the oil.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Chicken Schnitzel
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.4
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 114.4 mg
- Sodium 1718.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 17.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken cutlets