Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The following ingredients were indiscriminately chosen and thrown together for our Father's Day celebration. To my delight I won runner-up in the Canadian Living Magazine "Chicken Challenge" contest last year. Prep includes marinating time.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 sweet red peppers
- 300 g roll goat cheese, sliced into 12 rounds and left a room temperature to soften
- 1 head arugula, cleaned and leaves removed from stems
- 12 large basil leaves, cleaned
- 1 large focaccia bread, sliced horizontally and cut into four equal portions (preferably studded with sweet peppers and herbs)
- Place chicken breasts in a plastic bag.
- Whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, 2 cloves of the minced garlic, Dijon, 2 tablespoon of olive oil, thyme and pepper.
- Pour over chicken breasts and massage until coated.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Roast peppers on the barbecue or in a 400-degree oven until blistered and the skins turn black.
- Place peppers in a paper bag or bowl covered with cling film for 30 minutes.
- Peel peppers, remove stems, seeds and membrane and dice.
- Combine peppers in bowl with the remaining garlic clove and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Barbecue chicken breasts until no longer pink inside and allow to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Slice each chicken breast thinly on the diagonal and place on bottom half of foccacia portions.
- Place equal portions of the goat cheese rounds followed by a heaping portion of the roasted red pepper mixture, basil leaves and arugula leaves.
- Cover sandwich with the top portion of the foccacia.