Recipe by bayou-mimi
This was so good. This is pretty enough to serve for a special occasion, or just to treat your family. I am putting it here, not only to share, (I'm nice like that), but so I won't loose it. I tweaked a recipe that was included in the Puff Pastry box. It presents beautifully, and tastes better than it looks. On top of that, it's easy and easy to double or make for two... enjoy/ my notes are at the bottom the prep time does not include the thawing time for the pastry sheets, I let mine thaw while I was doing the slicing,pre-cooking chicken etc...
Top Review by Mrs Goodall
Really enjoyed this one bayou-mimi! I made just as written, except used chives instead of parsley. I used Boursin, garlic and herb flavour. I actually already had the chicken cooked and frozen, so this recipe was perfect and even quicker since the chicken was already cooked and chilled. This is a really nice quick meal to make on a weeknight or for company.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 puff pastry sheet (1/2 package)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (4 ounce) containerof flavored spreadable cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced thin
- 4 teaspoons bacon bits
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- melt butter in skillet.
- Add chicken and cook until browned.
- Remove chicken and let cool 10 minutes, then cover and chill for 15 minutes to over night.
- Thaw pastry sheet for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Mix water and egg.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Unfold pastry on lightly floured surface.
- Roll into a 14 inch square and cut into 4 (7") squares.
- Spread about 2 Tbs of the Cheese spread down the center of each square.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Top that with the slices from one mushroom, and the Real Bacon Bits.
- Top with cooled chicken.
- Brush edges with egg mixture.
- Fold each corner to center on top of the chicken and seal edges. Place seam side down on baking sheet. Brush lightly with egg mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or util golden.
- I used the Alouette brand Spinach and Artichoke cheese spread, it originally called for Garlic & Herb but I couldn't find that. I also used my P.Chef baking sheet. This recipe lends itself to a lot of possibilities for tweaking, but try it as written the first time.