Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This is from the 1972 edition of Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
Top Review by loof
Very nice chicken and rice casserole! I used cream of chicken with herbs soup and fresh chopped red peppers. The chicken was perfectly cooked and very moist after the allotted cooking time. Thanks for posting this recipe!
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup sauterne
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (1/2 cup) or 1 (3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned pimiento
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare rice mix as instructed on package.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a skillet and slowly brown chicken.
- Put rice mixture in a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Top with the chicken.
- Add soup to skillet, slowly add sauterne and stir until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cover and bake at 350 F for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.