Recipe by ellie_
Easy skillet chicken is a great way to use garden herbs. This is good served with rice or noodles to soak up the sauce. Recipe Souce: Bon Appetit (February 1980)
Top Review by Girl from India
We had this for our Sunday lunch and the buttermilk and herbs made a nice blend. Served it over noodles. With a veg. stir fry at the side. I will use some garlic and more shallots the next time. Thanks Ellie for posting this! :) Fay
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill weed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Season flour with salt and pepper and place in large plastic bag or pie dish.
- Place chicken in bag and coat well with flour (or dredge in pie dish, shaking off excess).
- Heat butter and oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots and chicken and cook until brown (15-20 minutes).
- Stir in next 4 ingredients (tomatoes- sugar) and additonal pepper, if desired.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in chives, dill and parsley and continue cooking (uncovered) for 5 minutes.