Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a tasty chicken recipes, serve it with scalloped potatoes and peas, fresh rolls. I found this on a recipe site about 3 years ago.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place rack in center of oven.
- Spray a shallow roasting pan with nonstick spray.
- Remove neck and giblets, and rinse chicken well.
- Sprinkle skin with salt and freshly ground pepper, rubbing additional seasoning inside cavity.
- In a small bowl, mix together rosemary, thyme, lemon zest and garlic.
- Using your fingers, loosen the skin and spread fresh herb mixture directly onto the breast meat.
- Sprinkle any remaining herb mixture onto skin.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, in the prepared pan. Brush with melted butter.
- Roast 50 to 70 minutes for a 3 to 4 lb. chicken.
- To test for doneness, insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, away from the bone.
- The juices should run clear and the thermometer should read 170 to 175 degrees. Remove chicken from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before carving.
We had this last night and DH liked it a lot. It was very moist and flavorful. I did put some onions on the bottom -- but didn't end up eating them as they seemed to disappear... Definitely will make this again. Thanks!
I had some chicken breast that I put this on top of. Baked for an hour or so and served. Even if I did not put the seasonings under the skin it had a good flavor. Thanks for an easy recipe.