Recipe by tmossinger
I discovered this amazing recipe when I was making some tortellini and realised that I did not have all of the ingredients for my marinara sauce! So I decided to forgo the toasted sourdough topped with bruschetta for my appetizer and instead used the bruschetta to top my herbed cheese tortellini. It came out better than my marinara ever could! The flavors were wonderful!
- 2 lbs roma tomatoes
- 1⁄2 of a fresh white onion
- 4 -6 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Herbed Cheese Filling
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 large egg yolks
- salt and pepper
- pasta dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- fresh rosemary
Directions See How It's Made
- Let's make the Bruschetta topping first since it can sit for the longest,.
- First dice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch sized pieces without mashing them up and put them in a large bowl.
- Next finely chop the onion and add that to the bowl also.
- Mince the garlic and toss that into your bowl.
- Then chop 4-6 leaves of the basil and add that to the bowl.
- Toss in your Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper and mix them together thoroughly.
- Finely cover and place in the refrigerator until you drop your tortellin into the water *The bruschetta should be around room temperature when you put it on top of the tortellini*.
- Next let's prepare the Herbed Cheese Filling;.
- First place all your ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and mix thoroughly with a fork.
- Then cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Now let us prepare the Pasta Dough;.
- First mix your Flour, Egg Yolks, Salt, and Olive Oil together in a large bowl until the mix forms a ball.
- Then place your dough on a lightly floured surface and kneed for about 10 minutes.
- Tightly wrap your dough with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half and re-wrap one half until finished with the first *then repeat from this step for the 2nd half of the dough*.
- Flatten the dough into a rectangle until it is able to fit into your pasta maker and run it through gradually decreasing the thickness until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Then cut the dough into 3 inch squares.
- Now make the egg wash with the egg whites from the filling and about 1Tbsp of water then brush on each tortellini.
- Place about 1Tbsp of Herbed Cheese Filling on each tortellini and fold together ensuring to get all of the air out from between the pasta.
- Now the finishing touches on the meal;.
- Boil a large pot of salted water on the stove and add about 12-24 tortellini to the pot.
- Boil the tortellini for about 4 minutes and then drain and arrange them on your plate.
- Next top each tortellini with some Bruschetta.
- Finally garnish with a little sprig of fresh Rosemary and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan.