Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I made this recipe on Christmas morning and it was a hit with everyone. I prefer this bread with dill, but I think there are many combinations of herbs you could use. Also, you can use 2 cups all-purpose flour, instead of the two different types the original calls for.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and lightly oil a loaf pan.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl and then stir in the herbs and cheese.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the egg and milk together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- The batter will be stiff, but this is normal.
- Use a spatula to put the batter in the loaf pan, smoothing the top when done.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is solid and a knife in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
- Serve warm.