I made this recipe on Christmas morning and it was a hit with everyone. I prefer this bread with dill, but I think there are many combinations of herbs you could use. Also, you can use 2 cups all-purpose flour, instead of the two different types the original calls for.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 F and lightly oil a loaf pan.
- 2Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl and then stir in the herbs and cheese.
- 3In a smaller bowl, beat the egg and milk together.
- 4Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- 5The batter will be stiff, but this is normal.
- 6Use a spatula to put the batter in the loaf pan, smoothing the top when done.
- 7Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is solid and a knife in the centre comes out clean.
- 8Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
- 9Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Cheese Quick Bread
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.4
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 69.1 mg
- Sodium 580.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 13.8 g