Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a Giada De Laurentiis recipe, from her family dinners cookbook. My friend Traci made this and I was fortunate to get the left-overs and it was scrumptious! She served it with Chuck Roast With Porcini Mushrooms, a perfect combo!
- 9 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal or 2 1⁄2 cups polenta
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
- 1⁄3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a large, heavy pot.
- Add the salt.
- Gradually whisk in the cornmeal.
- reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the cheese, milk butter, herbs and pepper.
- Stir until the butter and cheese melt.
- Transfer the polenta to a bowl and serve.
I've never made polenta b4, so I'm not sure what the consistency should be. Is it like porridge? That's how mine turned out. I think I used a bit too much seasoning bcz I had to use dried. I think 1/2 tsp of each would be enough next time. I love the creaminess and taste though! I was just expecting something more like cornbread, LOL! I did halve the recipe and used margarine and skim milk. Thanks HeidiSue.
This is so delicious!! I made as directed, however the polenta I used was instant so did not need the required cooking time. The combination of cheese with the herbs and spices added to this make this an exceptional dish! Simple to make! Thanks so much, HeidiSue!!
Taking into account none of us have never eaten or made polenta (all 4 persons eating)- halfed the recipe. The reactions were mixed from great to o'kay but we do want to try it again, so will update then. Thank you HeidiSue.