Recipe by AZRT
Absolutely sublime light cheese pizza, wonderful with a salad and glass of wine. Kasseri cheese makes this pizza but can be hard to find, try smoked provolone or manchego cheese for substitution.
Top Review by Harley Quinn
Very tasty "pizza"! And I did some research--there IS a cheese version of this that I found on a Turkish website. So your description works for me! Thank you for a great recipe.
- 2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups warm water, divided (100Â°, to 110Â°,)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 10 ounces thinly sliced kasseri cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare dough, lightly spoon bread flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1 cup bread flour, sugar, yeast, and 1 cup warm water in a bowl; let stand 15 minutes.
- Lightly spoon all-purpose flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup bread flour, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Add yeast mixture, 1 cup warm water, and 2 teaspoons oil to flour mixture; stir well. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; divide dough into 8 equal portions. Cover and let rest 20 minutes.
- To prepare topping, combine oregano, cumin, paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; set aside. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic, bay leaf, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 15 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), roll each portion into a 6-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; place circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining dough portions.
- Top each crust with 1/4 cup tomato mixture, 1 1/4 ounces cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon oregano mixture. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until crusts are lightly browned. Sprinkle evenly with minced parsley.