Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from one of my first veggie cookbooks, The Apartment Vegetarian Cookbook . You might be able to find this book somewhere used. This recipe is really, really good and it deserves to be preserved!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup raw millet
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a saucepan, melt a tablespoon of butter. Saute the millet until it turns a bit brown. add salt and water. Bring o a boil, then lower heat and simmer until millet is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce by 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add milk, sage, and grated cheese.Stir over low heat until melty - or microwave it to avoid burning. Stir in the cooked millet.
- Turn into an oiled casserole and bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes until it begins to brown on top. Or, refrigerate until close to mealtime, then bake for about half an hour.
Love this recipe! This is definitely my "go to" recipe for millet. I usually double or quadruple the recipe to make leftovers, and I reduce the amount of butter in half. A great way to cook millet is in a rice cooker- it comes out perfect every time!
Very good! I doubled the recipe and used equal amounts of chicken broth and water instead of just water. I eliminated the butter and sauted the millet in a small amount of EVOO. I also sauted 1/2 pound of mushrooms and a small chicken breast (cubed) and added it to the millet prior to putting in the casserole. It was served with steamed broccoli.We will be enjoying this again.
Fantastic! This was my first time making millet and I don't see myself bothering to look for another recipe. The whole family loved it. Thanks!