1/7 Photos of Herbed Cheese Batter Bread
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 5 mins
My son makes this & it's wonderful! Since he's a big fan of the food network, I'm guessing he grabbed the basic recipe there & tweaked it to suit himself. No kneading required (my favorite kind of bread making). This makes 2 loaves - one for now & one to freeze for later. Prep time includes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter
- 177.44 ml buttermilk
- 177.44 ml water
- 7.08 g package active dry yeast
- 3 large eggs
- 4.92 ml hot pepper sauce
- 946.36 ml flour
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 236.59 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 236.59 ml swiss cheese, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4.92 ml dried parsley flakes or 14.79 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 4.92 ml dried oregano or 14.79 ml fresh oregano, minced
- 1 large egg yolk
- 14.79 ml water
- 1Lightly butter (2) 8 X 4 X 2-inch loaf pans.
- 2Heat butter over medium heat. Add the buttermilk and water; heat till warm to touch (105-115ºF)
- 3Pour into a large bowl & sprinkle the yeast on top. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 4Whisk to dissolve yeast then whisk in 3 eggs & the hot sauce.
- 5Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- 6Gradually stir into the liquid mixture to make a thick batter.
- 7Stir in Parmesan cheese, 3/4 cup shredded cheddar, garlic & herbs.
- 8Pour batter into prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- 9Cover loosely with plastic wrap & let stand in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- 10Preheat oven to 375ºF & place rack in the center.
- 11Beat the remaining egg with the 1 tablespoon water & brush tops of loaves.
- 12Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese & bake till golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- 13Cool in pans, on rack, for 10 minutes. Turn on on rack and cool completely.
- 14* Can be made up to 2 days in advance, wrapped tightly & stored at room temperature. Herbs can be varied to suit your taste.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Cheese Batter Bread
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.6
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 63.2 mg
- Sodium 395.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 7.5 g