Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
My son makes this & it's wonderful! Since he's a big fan of the food network, I'm guessing he grabbed the basic recipe there & tweaked it to suit himself. No kneading required (my favorite kind of bread making). This makes 2 loaves - one for now & one to freeze for later. Prep time includes rising time.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Lightly butter (2) 8 X 4 X 2-inch loaf pans.
- Heat butter over medium heat. Add the buttermilk and water; heat till warm to touch (105-115ºF)
- Pour into a large bowl & sprinkle the yeast on top. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Whisk to dissolve yeast then whisk in 3 eggs & the hot sauce.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- Gradually stir into the liquid mixture to make a thick batter.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, 3/4 cup shredded cheddar, garlic & herbs.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap & let stand in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF & place rack in the center.
- Beat the remaining egg with the 1 tablespoon water & brush tops of loaves.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese & bake till golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Cool in pans, on rack, for 10 minutes. Turn on on rack and cool completely.
- * Can be made up to 2 days in advance, wrapped tightly & stored at room temperature. Herbs can be varied to suit your taste.
Wonderful, different bread! I made exactly as directed and wouldn't have changed anything, except to have used the fresh herbs instead of dried next time around for a fresher flavor. Thanks so much for the excellent recipe!
Delicious! I made this as our pizza crust tonight in a 9x9 pan. I baked it for 15 minutes and then loaded it up with all the goodies. It made for a thick crust that people wanted to eat instead of leaving the crust. Thanks, SusieQusie!!
I loved this bread. Want flavor then this is the bread for you. I made round loafs instead of baking in the loaf pans and they turned out great. A little work, but so worth it. The round loafs didn't like the cheese on top. It cracked off when sliced. Great recipe. Thanks