1 hr 20 mins
Instead of stirring the herbs into the soup, set out bowls of dill and tarragon along with some crème fraîche or sour cream for dolloping and let guests do the garnishing themselves. This recipe is one of the soups for the no RSVP soup party, that Johanna Stedman started to get to know her neighbors in Berkely. Sunset Magazine, January 2007 - have made some minor changes to please a friends' palate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-in rounds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup long-grain rice
- 2 -3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 cups organic low sodium chicken broth or 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup creme fraiche or 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1Melt butter or margarine in a 5 qt large pot over medium high heat; add onions.
- 2Cook until onions are translucent, 5-7 mins
- 3Add garlic, carrots, bay leaf, rice, 2 teaspoons salt, pepper, and chicken or vegetable broth.
- 4Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-high and cook, uncovered, until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
- 6Remove bay leaf and purée soup in batches in a blender.
- 7Return soup to pot and set over low heat.
- 8Add whipping cream and 2 cups water (if soup looks too thick, add a little more water) and cook until warmed through.
- 9Season to taste with additional salt.
- 10Serve soup hot, with crème fraîche or sour cream, dill, and tarragon.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed Carrot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (4037 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 823.0
- Calories from Fat 456
- Total Fat 50.6 g
- Saturated Fat 29.5 g
- Cholesterol 151.3 mg
- Sodium 1483.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.9 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 23.7 g