Recipe by litldarlin
This is a very delicious brown gravy, and the best part it is on my diet program. I have High Cholesterol and am trying to get it back down with diet and exercise.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions, carrots, and celery until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, herbs, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Stir the flour into the vegetables and stir to coat them.
- Whisk in the chicken stock, making sure to keep lumps from forming.
- Add the bay leaf and the Kitchen Bouquet and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Let the gravy simmer for 10-15 minutes, until thickened.
- Strain through a fine-meshed strainer and discard vegetables.