Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From TOH. Yield: 1 loaf (about 1-1/2 pounds). This makes a nice soft, but good for sandwiches, loaf. Speckled with green it is very pretty. Smells wonderful too!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (70 to 80)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer.
- Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
I am so glad I tried this recipe. This is the best bread machine recipe I've tried to date. It's soft but not squishy soft. The herbs give a nice subtle flavor. The whole house smelled wonderful but not nearly as wonderful as the bread tastes. Prepared for My 3 Chefs Nov 2008 Thanks dicentra for what will be a bread staple in my house.