Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is thick and rich! Filled with lots of sliced onions and dotted with sweet peas, it's visually appealing as well as delicious.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 very large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, slightly crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and spices. Cook stirring frequentley, 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add small amounts of water as necessary, about a tablespoon at a time, to prevent sticking.
- Add tomatoes, broth and sugar. When mixture boils, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in peas and cook covered 10 minutes more. Stir in milk and remove from heat. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Spoon soup into bowls and garnish with mint leaves.
Really easy as well as being hearty and flavorful. We really enjoyed this soup. Like another reviewer, I added more coriander and cumin for extra flavor. I would make this again. Thanks!
Loved the addition of peas and onions to this! The spices really added too. I ended up adding a bit extra of all of the spices to make it that much more flavorful. Served with chutney and grilled cheese sandwiches for a yummy meal.
This was a nicely seasoned soup that was not too heavy. I made this exactly as posted, but I did add some salt and pepper. I thought the cumin would be overpowering, but it wasn't at all. This is actually a nice summer soup! Thanks for sharing. Made for Aussie/NZ Swap #65.