Recipe by morgainegeiser
This soup is thick and rich! Filled with lots of sliced onions and dotted with sweet peas, it's visually appealing as well as delicious.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
Really easy as well as being hearty and flavorful. We really enjoyed this soup. Like another reviewer, I added more coriander and cumin for extra flavor. I would make this again. Thanks!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 very large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, slightly crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and spices. Cook stirring frequentley, 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add small amounts of water as necessary, about a tablespoon at a time, to prevent sticking.
- Add tomatoes, broth and sugar. When mixture boils, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in peas and cook covered 10 minutes more. Stir in milk and remove from heat. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Spoon soup into bowls and garnish with mint leaves.