Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
We love this chicken and make it often. So easy too. Make extra for leftovers. It makes awesome sandwiches the next day.
- 2 chicken legs-thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mashed garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry.
- Trim excess fat.
- Loosen skin from thigh and leg by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Combine rest of ingredients (basil thru pepper),.
- Rub herb mixture under loosened skin.
- Place chicken on a broiler pan.
- Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh, making sure not to touch bone.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until thermometer registers 180 degrees.
- Cover chicken loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes.
Awesome! Just finnished eating this great chicken. I actually cooked it at 400 and covered the outside of the skin with melted butter then a little of the spice rub.
I have already made this a couple of times. I like the way the flavor of the seasonings penetrates the meat. The first time, I brined the chicken. The second time I did not. I really think that it needs the brining step to bring out the flavors. I prefer this separated into legs and thighs rather than leaving it whole. I used a probe thermometer, and it usually takes about an hour to cook rather than 45 minutes.
My husband and I liked this chicken, but it was a little too herby for the kids. I was worried that the chicken would be dry because it was baked uncovered, but it turned out tender and juicy. I will probably make this again for DH and I, but will leave the herbs off of the kid's pieces. Made for Spring P.A.C. '09.