Recipe by *Petunia*
Got this recipe from a friend. The beer and the self-rising flour do all the work!
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning (or 1 tsp each, oregano, basil & thyme)
- 12 ounces beer, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons soft butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cheese and herbs.
- Mix well.
- Stir in the beer to produce a stiff batter.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan with the shortening and sprinkle the cornmeal on the bottoms and sides of pan.
- Turn batter into the pan and bake for 60-65 minutes.
- When done, brush the loaf with the butter or margarine and sprinkle with additional cornmeal if desired.
- Turn out of pan and cool on rack.