Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I use this to sneak some veggies into my kids diet. Sometimes it actually works.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, brown beef; drain.
- Add the next 5 ingredients; cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes, rice and 1/2 cup cheese, broth and seasonings; mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated.
I'm actually very surprised at how well this turned out since I've never had a dish with eggplant that I liked. It was easy to make and was a hit with the whole family. My one year old had seconds, and my 3 year old even ate it, even though he doesn't really like it when foods are mixed together. Thanks for a nice recipe!
I loved this. I'm staying away from carbs so I left out the rice. I used fresh spinach and canned artichoke hearts instead of eggplant, and used low fat mozzerella. I kept everything else the same. It was wonderful. My whole family loved it. This is a keeper!