Recipe by nkoprince08
This is a recipe I got out of Cooking Light Magazine. I thought it tasted awesome especially since it is also good for you!! I made a few changes from the original recipe: I skipped the olive oil and only used cooking spray, skipped the added salt, and the fresh basil (as I didn't have any available). The only other change that I made was I added the onions to the pan at the beginning with the rice and garlic. I thought that it turned out great and think I will make it the same way next time.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- cooking spray
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add rice and garlic to pan; Saute 2 minutes or until rice is lightly toasted.
- Add water, broth, and salt to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in onions, nuts, Parmesan cheese, basil, thyme, and pepper.