Prep 20 mins
Cook 21 mins
From Cooking Light. Per 3/4 c. serving: 196 calories, 6.4 g protein, 5.8 g. fat, 28.5 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g fiber, 7 mg cholesterol.
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion tops
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Let the margarine melt in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add in garlic; stir/saute for 1 minute (do no let garlic burn).
- Add in rice; stir well.
- Add in water and salt; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in onion tops, basil, and thyme.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
This was good and really easy! Went well with my souvlaki!
I used chicken stock instead of water and butter instead of margarine. Very tasty, this would make a great side for fish. This is a really easy recipe, and it doesn't take long at all. In fact, the rice took a lot less than 20 minutes, it took about 8 minutes and longer than that it started burning to the bottom. I was wondering if maybe the cooktime was off because 3/4 a cup of rice is not much at all. This would serve maybe 2 people.
this works every time i use dried herbs. and rinse rice first i've read this improves flavor family loves.