Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
We love Basmati rice, this is a good pilaf recipe. Enjoy.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken broth (fat-free)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic, saute 1 minute.
- Add basmati rice, saute 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, bring to a boil, Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in chopped onions and dried thyme.
I forgot to add the thyme, so it wasn't herbed at all for me! It was still pretty good! I made my broth from boullion granules, so it was a bit salty. My basmati is also whole grain--kind of like the brown rice of basmati. So I can never get it to cook up fluffy like the rice I get at Indian restaurants. This recipe left the rice firm, but cooked. It had the texture of fried rice and went well with my meal.
This was a pretty decent dish. I thought the thyme was a bit over-powering and if I make this dish again, I'll use less than the indicated amount. Easy to make though was a plus.
This was just excellent. We made Chicken and Broccoli Thai Curry and with this it was fantastic! Thanks so much... we ate it all at one sitting!