Recipe by Just Call Me Martha
This healthy barley-based salad is great to have on hand - especially for those on Phase 2 of the South Beach diet!
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
I personally really enjoyed this salad. However, the rest of my family did not. DH didn't like the flavor of either the vinegar or an herb & DS (16) didn't like that it was a warm salad. I didn't have radishes & used red & green pepper instead of yellow but I still loved all the fresh herbs & the dressing was really flavorful for such a simple combination. I'm a barley lover & can eat it any which way so I could see myself making this again in the future, but it would just be enough for myself. :) Thanks for sharing, Martha! Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet tag game.
- 3 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 6 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped radish
- 1⁄2 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water, garlic and barley in a large pot.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Drain excess water.
- To make dressing, combine mustard, garlic and vinegar.
- Whisk together, then slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Combine half of dressing with warm barley.
- Stir in vegetables and herbs.
- Toss with remaining dressing.
- Season to taste.