Recipe by Sharon123
Adapted from the Barefoot Contessa, Bringing the Magic Home, this is a real treat! Try to use fresh herbs, they really make this! If you like, you may use 3 eggs per serving. Great with a nice green salad for a light supper!
Top Review by I'mPat
Just loved the fresh herbs in this dish (I scaled back for 1 serve) and just loved dipping crispy toast into those gooey egg yolks. Thank you Sharon 123 made for Please Review My Recipe.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaf (or tarragon)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese (or try Feta cheese!)
- 6 extra-large eggs, cold from the fridge so they will transfer easily (or use large eggs)
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half or 2 tablespoons heavy cream or 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or use Smart Balance margarine-healthier)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- toasted French bread, for serving (or brioche)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the broiler for 5 minutes and place the oven rack 6 inches below the heat.
- Combine the garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and Parmesan and set aside. Carefully crack 2 eggs into each of 3 small bowls or teacups (you won't be baking them in these) without breaking the yolks. (It's very important to have all the eggs ready to go before you start cooking.)
- Place 3 individual gratin dishes on a baking sheet. Place 1 tablespoon of cream and 1/2 tablespoon of butter in each dish and place under the broiler(about 6" from direct heat) for about 3 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Quickly, but carefully, pour 2 eggs into each gratin dish and sprinkle evenly with the herb mixture, then sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Place back under the broiler for 4 to 6 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are almost cooked. (Rotate the baking sheet once if they aren't cooking evenly.) The eggs will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven. Allow to set for 60 seconds and serve hot with toasted bread.