Future Foodie's Note:
This is a variation of a recipe I found in Sunset Magazine. It's delicious and filling!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3 Morningstar Farms veggie bacon strips (or any bacon substitute)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cook macaroni, drain and set aside in another bowl.
- 2While pasta is cooking, fry veggie bacon strips ‘til crisp, then chop into small pieces.
- 3In the warm pasta pot, add whipping cream, cream cheese, half of the shredded cheddar, 2 tablespoons of the butter, herbs, garlic salt, onions and the bacon strips.
- 4Stir until melted and blended well, then mix with the pasta.
- 5Transfer macaroni and cheese into a baking dish and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- 6In small bowl, combine the rest of the melted butter with the breadcrumbs, then sprinkle over mac and cheese.
- 7Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- 8Tips: Any fragrant herbs would be good in this recipe. If you’d like to use fresh ones, use a ¼ cup of each. If you’re willing to shell out the extra bucks for the brie like the original recipe calls for, you can replace a half cup of it for the whipping cream. Also, I used garlic salt to be quick, but fresh garlic and some sea salt would work well.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herbed and Baked Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 740.0
- Calories from Fat 322
- Total Fat 35.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 104.9 mg
- Sodium 597.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 23.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Morningstar Farms veggie bacon strips