Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a variation of a recipe I found in Sunset Magazine. It's delicious and filling!
Make and share this Herbed and Baked Mac and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3 Morningstar Farms veggie bacon strips (or any bacon substitute)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cook macaroni, drain and set aside in another bowl.
- While pasta is cooking, fry veggie bacon strips ‘til crisp, then chop into small pieces.
- In the warm pasta pot, add whipping cream, cream cheese, half of the shredded cheddar, 2 tablespoons of the butter, herbs, garlic salt, onions and the bacon strips.
- Stir until melted and blended well, then mix with the pasta.
- Transfer macaroni and cheese into a baking dish and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- In small bowl, combine the rest of the melted butter with the breadcrumbs, then sprinkle over mac and cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Tips: Any fragrant herbs would be good in this recipe. If you’d like to use fresh ones, use a ¼ cup of each. If you’re willing to shell out the extra bucks for the brie like the original recipe calls for, you can replace a half cup of it for the whipping cream. Also, I used garlic salt to be quick, but fresh garlic and some sea salt would work well.