Recipe by Chef PotPie
This is a great dish for brunch, but a pleasing side at dinner as well.
Top Review by Marlene.
What a delicious flavor , from such humble ingredients!! The only change I had to make , was the bread. I didn't have white , I had a 12 grain. Everything else followed to a T ... mine took exactly the 35 minutes to bake through. Wonderful dish , thanks for posting!
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 slices white bread
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in small saucepan and saute 5 minutes until tender and clear. Set aside.
- Spread remaining butter on one side of bread slices. Cut into 1" cubes.
- Lightly beat eggs with milk; add cheddar and swiss, basil, pepper, reserved onion, and bread cubes; mix well.
- Pour into buttered 1 quart casserole, sprinkle with parmesan, and bake till golden (knife in center comes out clean), about 35 minutes.