Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
For use in salad dressings, sauces for fish and chicken dishes. Herbal vinegars are easy to prepare, beautiful to look at and can be used in any recipe that calls for vinegar. Plus they make great gifts from your garden. The prodecure for making any herbal vinegar is the same, no matter what herb or combination of herbs you are using. All you need are some herbs, top quality vinegars, glass jars and a glass or stainless steel saucepan. For the best retention of flavors, store flavored vinegars in the refrigerator or a cool dark place. If properly prepared, flavored vinegars should retain good quality for two to three months in cool room storage and for six to eight months in refrigerated storage. -=Attention=- Should you decided to display pretty bottles of herb and fruit vinegars on a kitchen window sill. If left out for more than a few weeks, these bottles are then considered as decoration and not used in food preparation.!
- In a glass or stainless steel sauce pan heat white wine vinegar on the stove to where it is warm, but not boiling
- Bruise tarragon and loosely fill clean glass jars.
- Pour the warmed vinegar to fill each glass jar and cap with an acid-proof lid. Store in a cool, dark place and shake daily for 2 weeks
- After two weeks have passed test for flavor; if a stronger taste is desired, strain the vinegar and repeat using fresh herbs.
- Store as it is or strain through cheesecloth and rebottle.
- Add a few fresh sprigs of tarragon to the bottle for identification purposes and visual appeal.
This has been waiting in my fridge for over a month. Having had limited use of a kitchen for the past few months, I hadn't had much opportunity to use it, but we finally had fish last week and I put it to the test. Honestly, I've never had tarragon vinegar before and wasn't sure if I would like, so I quartered the recipe (1/2 cup tarragon, 1 cup vinegar) and it seems to have worked fine. Turns out I do like it, but DH is not a huge fan. I think the smaller quantity will last long enough since I'm the only one eating it. The directions were very easy to follow and it was a great experience.